If you have yet to spend a holiday season in Sun Valley well, you best be getting your plans in order. Seriously… this place can feel like stepping into a Norman Rockwell painting. Ok, some of you might be asking “who is Norman Rockwell?”. Don’t worry about that- you can Google him later. Just think super picturesque and amazing!
While current times may have us yearning for the “good ol’ days”, Sun Valley, Idaho will offer up adventures beneath gorgeous blue-bird skies, dining, shopping, and accommodations extraordinaire,- as well as some much-needed fresh mountain air. You are sure to remember this holiday for years to come.
Even if you aren’t typically one to partake in a winter sport, Sun Valley just might pull you out of your comfort zone. And for those die-hard extremists, there’s plenty for you too! There is seriously so much to do and choosing might prove difficult.
- With a vertical drop of over 3,000 feet, Baldy Mountain offers up lengthy runs with varying degrees of difficulty. Downhill/Alpine skiers and snowboarders will have over 75 runs to choose from and cozy lodges for when you need a break.
- “Look, mom! No poles!” For the slightly more reserved and especially the smaller tikes, Dollar Mountain fits the bill. With lessons for all ages and gradual slopes, this is a good place for the beginner to intermediate skier. Oh, and did we mention night skiing? Yep, super cool! Dollar also boasts a nice little terrain park complete with a half-pipe for those wanting to practice jumps, flips, etc.
- Ice Skating and hockey are quite popular in the valley. With 3 rinks to choose from check on-line for open skate, and stick and puck times available. And check schedules- you just might be able to catch a local ice-show or a hockey game- Go Suns!
- Sleds or Sleighs anyone? Take your sled to the corner of Sun Valley and Saddle rd. You can’t miss the hill on the northwest corner of this intersection where sledders of all ages make the worthwhile hike to the top for a memorable trip to the bottom. Horse-drawn sleigh rides are also available in Sun Valley through the lodge.
- So many trails so little time… We are very fortunate to have so many trails available to us here in the valley. We encourage you to visit the Blaine County Recreation Department (BCRD) for all of the trails that are available and open during this time for snowshoeing and cross country/Nordic skiing as well as places to rent equipment and purchase passes. at https://www.bcrd.org/trail-passes.php
- Have you seen those Warren Miller films where they drop off the skiers atop a snowy peak from a helicopter? Why not star in your own heli-ski adventure? The Smoky, Pioneer, and Boulder mountain ranges offer up the perfect setting. As the birthplace of American heli-skiing, Sun Valley will provide you with an unforgettable experience!
- What Christmas Eve wouldn’t be complete without a torchlight parade down Dollar mountain and then fireworks afterward? Seriously, this winter wonderland is over the top – cue the plum fairies! And roll right into the new year (who isn’t ready for that?) at Dollar with their New Year’s Eve Family Night Ski complete with a party and fireworks.
Get Your Shop On
From the luxurious to the cute and quaint, Sun Valley retailers won’t disappoint. Whether it’s a gift for grandma or your furry friend, you are sure to find it. Classy boutiques, thrift, toy, and pet stores are woven amongst the charm of our historic buildings. And yes, even that Sun Valley t-shirt someone is sure to want is an easy find.
You honestly can’t walk through any of our towns in Sun Valley without the amazing aroma of our fabulous restaurants beckoning you inside. Coffee shops, historic restaurants (where yes, you might catch a glimpse of a celebrity or two), will make you wish you had booked your trip for a longer stay. Fabulous breakfasts, sushi, steaks, vegan eateries, and baked goods abound. Northwest, and World cuisine awaits you.
Where to Lay Your Headzzz
After so much adventure and incredible eats nothing feels better than kicking up your feet after a full day. From classic motel stays, posh lodges with on-site spas, and full homes through a variety of on-line rental sites, even the fussiest of lodgers will feel catered to. Please check out our Chamber’s website for a list of lodging options in the Sun Valley area: http://members.haileyidaho.com/list/ql/lodging-travel-15
*We strongly encourage locals and guests to call ahead to all establishments this winter in-light of the pandemic. While our local businesses and medical personnel are doing all they can to provide you with a safe visit, circumstances can change quickly so please be prepared to make adjustments if necessary.