- At Friedman Memorial Airport (SUN), TSA is projecting a busy winter and ski season as we screen between 7 and 9 regularly scheduled commercial flights each day of the week, including flights to Salt Lake City, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, and Chicago. Our winter and ski season begins in mid to late December, and lasts until the end of March.
- We are anticipating a 5% increase in total passengers and checked baggage at SUN. Based on the number of seats available on scheduled flights, we are planning on average of 525 passengers passing through our checkpoint daily during peak ski season.
- Our busiest days during the winter season are typically Saturdays and Sundays.
Tips for travel for the holidays and the busy winter season:
- Arrive at SUN 2 hours prior to your flight departure to ensure adequate time to be screened through the security checkpoint. At peak travel times, the number of departing passengers can exceed capacity. By arriving early, you will arrive at your gate with time to spare.
- Organize your cary-on bag so electronics larger than a cell phone can be quickly and easily accessed when at the security checkpoint. All electronic devises larger than a cell phone should be placed in bins for x-ray screening with nothin on top or below, similar to how laptops have been screened for several year.
- Remove travel-size liquids, gels and aerosols (3.4 ounces or less) from carry-on luggage. Ensure they can be quickly and easily accessed. Any quantities larger than 3.4 ounces should be placed in checked baggage.
- Dress for security screening. Simplify your experience by avoiding bulky jewelry, scarves, hair accessories and large belts since these are types of items likely to require additional screening. Remember to remove all items from your pockets and secure them in your carry-on bag.
Lastly, happy traveling and enjoy your time in beautiful Sun Valley, Idaho.