Professional globe-trotters have packing down to a science. Perhaps you can adopt some of their methods for your next week-long trip.
- Pack for three days worth of clothes and limit shoes- bring two pairs max. Think light hiker or a sneaker and maybe some flip flops/other slip-ons. A coat and swimsuit are also priorities.
- Bring travel-size items only. Only bring the absolute essentials. Purchase just-in-case items when you arrive.
- Don’t rush. Pack a week ahead of time if possible. Re-pack a day or two before your trip. Travelers tend to overpack when rushed.
- The right type of pack or stuff sack is important. The bigger it is, the more likely it is to overpack. Select a size and challenge yourself to stick to it. No checked bag fees and not being unencumbered with lugging around a large suitcase is good motivation.
- Electronic essentials, passport, sunscreen, and mini first-aid kits are also worth considering.
- Resist the urge to purchase gifts and mementos. If you really must have something, consider shipping it home.