With schools wrapping up for the academic year, the sunny mountains and warm beaches are calling. During the busy summer travel period – which is almost here – TSA will screen millions of passengers and crew. If you’re planning a getaway in the next couple of months, we have a few helpful tips to get you ready for your airport departure.
When you start packing, make sure you place the following items in your checked luggage:
- Anything with a blade, including all knives, cigar cutters and corkscrews with blades
- Sporting goods, including golf clubs, baseball gear, rafting equipment, hiking sticks, and fishing gear
- Full-size bottles of sunscreen, tanning lotions, and insect repellant
- Beverages in containers larger than 3.4 ounces
Then, you can pack these travel-friendly items in your carry-on bag:
- All travel-size liquids, including creams, and gels (remember, you’re allowed a single quart-size, clear bag for liquid in 3.4 ounce or less containers)
- Solid deodorant
- Food and snacks for your flight, non-liquids
- Tweezers, files, and nail clippers
- Disposable shaving razors
- Electric razors and trimmers, curling irons, and flat irons
A few last reminders to make your travel in and out of SUN seamless:
Arrive prepared: Allow yourself plenty of time to get through security and to your gate – ideally, 2+ hours before your morning flight out of SUN; calculate time for parking (otherwise, have a friend drop you off!), to print your boarding pass, check your baggage, and get through the security checkpoint.
Note that TSA is here to help: Send your questions to the AskTSA team via Twitter or Facebook Messenger. Their team is available weekdays from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., and from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET on weekends and holidays.